Tuesday, June 30, 2015

REVIEW: Ghosts of Death by Chrys Fey

Jolie Montgomery, a twenty-one-year-old woman, wakes up in an alley next to her corpse. She has no memories of her murder or the night she died. She didn’t even see the killer’s face before he or she took her life. Wanting justice, Jolie seeks answers in the only way a ghost can...by stalking the lead detective on the case.

Avrianna Heavenborn is determined to find the person responsible for a young woman’s death. She gets closer to the killer’s identity with every clue she uncovers, and Jolie is with her every step of the way.

But if they don’t solve her murder soon, Jolie will be an earth-bound spirit forever.

Available at: http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Death-Chrys-Fey-ebook/dp/B00V5B46I0






REVIEW:
RATING:  4.5 Stars

‘Ghost of Death’ is an interesting murder mystery, with the ghost of the victim, a university student named Jolie, following the police detective, Avrianna Heavenborn, who’s in charge of the case.  Moving one step, or one clue, at a time, they go through all the important moments of Jolie’s last night, as Avrianna talks to the grieving mother, Jolie’s boyfriend, and her roommate, and the other friends the couple had gone out with that evening.

Now, the mystery itself isn’t terribly complicated, but you get to watch a particularly gifted detective carefully work her way through her case, eliminating each suspect along the way, always accompanied by Jolie’s ghost.  Since the story doesn’t start until Jolie first realizes that she is dead, and she can’t remember what happened, you have no way of predicting ahead of time who killed her or why, so you end up solving the murder exactly as Detective Heavenborn does.  I found this intriguing, and it held my attention from beginning to end.

The characters are all believable, including Jolie’s ghost, and the way everything is presented gave me an empathic connection to the tale that I don’t always get in a murder mystery.  The presentation drew me in, and wouldn’t let go, even after I’d finished the story – I found myself drawing mental pictures of the memorial service, of how the friends recovered, if they recovered.  For a short story, ‘Ghost of Death’ made a serious impression on me, and I truly enjoyed reading it.  In fact, I’ve already gone through it a second time.

I give this book 4.5 stars, and recommend it to anyone who likes short mysteries, with a nice suggestion of romance along the way.  I wouldn’t have minded it being a little longer, with a few more details or perhaps a mistaken step along the way; with that, I would probably have given it 5 stars.

I am very grateful for the reviewer’s copy I was sent.

  Reviewed by: Roberta




1 comment: